Sunday, 26 August 2007

The story of Mannat's arrival

24th, August, Promina and I go meet some old friend of her in Bandra. On the way back in the rickshaw, Promina & I share a bad feeling: the baby hasn't moved much since today morning.
The next day, 25th, August, Promina insists on going to the gynecologist for a check-up. The doctor takes obviously this sign seriously and a quick sonography enables him to understand the baby is breech. This is the first news of the day: unless the baby, who's reached 34 weeks + 3 days, manages to turn her head down, which is very unlikely to happen at the stage of the pregnancy, the delivery will have to be performed through cesarian.
In the afternoon, the movements of the baby being still very less, Promina goes on doctor's advise for a color Doppler to try and understand the origin of the problem. I reach the sonography lab at 19:00 where Mama and Promina have already reached and the test shows the ombilical cord forms a tight loop around the neck. At 20:00, once in the gyne's cabinet with the coplor Doppler's report, we are expalined that the baby is just fine but that a risk of serious foetal distress is there if the baby is not removed immediatly. We hence get the second news of the day: our baby will arrive tonight itself!!!
Quickly, we make things ready. Promina is showed her way
to her room with Mama while I rush back home to grab whatever things I feel might be useful. The delivery being scheduled for 03rd, October, we obviously weren't so much ready for such an emergency landing...
At 21:30, I'm back at the clinic in Lockandwala. Promina's waiting for the obstetrician to be ready and soon she enters the operation theater. I am allowed a little window to check on my wife and baby to come. The night is there, it's hot and humid and the delivery starts. After some 20 minutes of work, I see a first glimps of the baby: her redish legs appear to me, emerging from the stomach of the mother who's bravely undergoing the cesarian. Pulled by her legs like crazy by the doc, the baby's cord which was entangled around the neck is removed and after a few slaps in the back, head down, Mannat salutes the World... It is 22:42 in Mumbai, we are a family!

No comments: